Heggie’s Muir Wood
Heggie’s Muir Wood 1888 x 1914 OS 6 inch 1st revision
en Heggie’s Muir + SSE wood
Shown as a wood but not named on OS 6 inch 1st edn, it lay in the detached part of CLT by Sweethome until 1891 (see CLS Intro., Parish Boundaries). The wood occupies land, presumably once muir or rough grazing land, which was formerly a detached part of CLT (see parish map), and the name must derive from that of one of the three landowners in that parish recorded in the 1790s, ‘viz The Right Honourable the Earl of Glasgow, George Heggie Esq of Pitlessie, and George Hope Esq. of Upper Rankeillour and Hospital Mill’ (NSA ix, 567).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4