Halhill CLS S NO288139 1 362 90m SEF
lie Halhill 1539 RMS iii no. 2005 [Easter Collessie then called the Halhill]
(Master Henry Balneaves of) Halhill 1558 RMS iv no. 1288
(James Melville of) Halhill 1576 RMS iv no. 2521 [grants to his wife, Christine, in life-rent, half the lands of Easter Collessie called Halhill, and their mill, with half the lands of *Muirfield CLS]
Hallhill 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Hallhill 1828 SGF
Hallhill 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Sc hall + Sc hill
‘Hill on which the main hall or residence stands’. The eponymous hall was in fact a tower house, demolished by Sir James Melville after he had acquired the estate in 1571 on the death of Henry Balnavis. It was taken into the new park of Melville at this time (Gillin and Reid 1979, 25). Henry Balnavis and his spouse Christian Scheves had bought Easter Collessie or Halhill from Alexander Cuming in 1539 (RMS iii no. 2005).
The farm lies on the southern slopes of the Ochils at a height of 90 m, overlooking the village of Collessie and the flat Howe of Fife some 45 m below.
/hɔl hɪl/ locally /hɔ: hɪl/.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4