Lammerlaws BUI CR NT239854 1 395
Lamber Laws 1824 Wood/Burntisland
Lamberlaws 1834 x 1845 NSA ix, 413
Lammerlaws 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
? + Sc law
The first element may be an old plural (and compositional) form of Sc lam(b) ‘lamb’ (lamber) (DOST), so ‘lamb-hills’. There was also a Sc word lammer ‘amber’ (SND 1). A prominent peninsula to the east of the burgh, it is called Clayness on Adair/Forth (1683) and on Ainslie/Fife (1775).
Ainslie/Fife (1775) . OS Name Books mentions old lime-kilns here (135, 8). Local tradition, as recorded in the NSA (ix, 413), states that the gallows stood on the Lammerlaws ‘under the feudal system’, and that ‘in allusion to this circumstance, the locality is sometimes called Gallows Knoll’. On OS 6 inch 1st edn. there is a Gallowhill Cottage on the small headland on the north-east side of Lammerlaws, beside the modern swimming pool. This has survived in Galahill, a form which has shed its grim associations, the name of the small new housing development on the site.
It is known locally as The Lammerlaws.
Note also Lammerhaven (check form), the name of one of the old harbours in Dunbar.
/ðəˈlamər lɔ:z/ or /ðəˈlamərˌlɔ:z/
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1