Priorwell BMO S NO355234 1 351 130m
villam et terras lie Pryourewell de Balmerinoch 1593 RMS v no. 2273 [amongst lands belonging to St Andrews Priory]
? Priourwall 1611 RMS vii no. 464 col. 2 [to the Duke of Lennox, lands etc. which belonged to St Andrews Priory: ... Bannatfeild, Priourwall, Drem, Pitmillie, Bennofeild ... all with teinds, part of a much longer list]
? Pryorwall 1625 Retours (Fife) no. 364 [similar to preceding]
? Pryorwall 1635 RMS ix no. 307 col. 2 [similar to preceding]
Prior Well 1845 NSA ix, 580
Priorwell 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn [shown at NO357235, a three-sided farm-building; no building marked on this map at the site of OS Pathf. Priorwell]
Sc prior + Sc wall
‘Well belonging to or associated with a prior’, the prior here being the superior of St Andrews Priory, to which the lands, consisting of 15 acres, were given c.1212 (NLS Adv. MS 15.1.18 no. 46; see BMO Intro. for text, translation and discussion). The eponymous well, named Prior Well, is marked as an antiquity on OS 6 inch 1st edn (and subsequent OS maps) at NO356235, on the west side of the road between Coultra and Balmerino. See also Campbell 1899, 37.
The NGR given above is for Priorwell (the settlement) as shown on OS Pathf., but an earlier settlement of this name is shown on OS 6 inch (1855) at NO356235, c.200 m north-east, on a road or track, no longer extant, running south from Prior Well (the antiquity). This site is unlikely to have been the original Priorwell, however, since the charter of c.1212 describes the land as lying on the west side of the Balmerino-Coultra road, while this lies on the east side (though it is possible that the road has moved its course somewhat).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4