Kirkton

Kirkton ~ BMO S NO362251 1 351 40m

    Kirktoun 1580 x 1581 RMS v no. 150 [‘the garden or yard called *Nutyard[87] ... between the lands of Kirkton and Bottomcraig BMO, the place of Balmerino, the garden or yard the *Yestersyard, [88] and the Nether Mill (horto nute-yaird vocato ... inter terras de Kirktoun et Boddumcraig, locum de Balmirinoch, hortum lie Yesteris-yaird, et lie Nether-mylne)]
    Kirktoun de Balmerinoch 1596 Campbell 1899, 621
    terras de Kirktoun 1603 RMS vi no. 1411 [Kirkton, Bottomcraig (Bodomecraig) and Demmins (Dwningis)]
    halfe Lands of Kirkton 1617 Balm. Lib. App. XII (p. 78) [Taxt Roll of Balmerino Abbey; ‘posest by Rob’t Fyfe’]
    Kirktoun de Balmerynoche 1630 Retours (Fife) no. 445 [part of the mains lands and manor place of Balmerino now called Kirkton of Balmerino on the north side of the monastery]
    Kirktown 1775 Ainslie/Fife
    Kirkton 1840 Leighton 1840 ii, 67 [‘situated near where the old church stood, and where the burying ground still is’]
    Kirkton 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn

Sc kirktoun

For discussion of the kirktoun, the site of the early parish church(es), and the chapel of St Ayle in Balmerino, see BMO Intro., From Coultra to Balmerino.

This place-name appeared in printed volume 4