Kilburns

Kilburns BMO FGN S NO376252 1 351 45m NOF

    fischeingis of Kilburnis 1562 RSS v no. 1115 [see Cathills # BMO]
    fishings of Kilburnis 1566 Assumption, 58 [‘set to the Laird of Nauchtane (Naughton)’; in Balmerino Abbey rental]
    (fishing of) Kilburnis 1592 RMS vi no. 252 [see Cathills # BMO]
    Kilburnis 1596 Campbell 1899, 621 [‘Kilburnis & Scrogieside’ 21 acres]
    Kilburnis 1601 RMS vi no. 1217 [in barony of Naughton, q.v.]
    Tikburnis 1603 RMS vi no. 1411 [in error for Kilburnis]
    (fishings of) Kilburnyis 1603 RMS vi no. 1411 [Cathills and]
    Hillburns 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
    Killbarns 1775 Ainslie/Fife
    Kilburns 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn

Sc kill + Sc burn

‘Burn by or near the kiln’. The burn is no doubt the small stream which runs to the north-east of the present farm. The plural ending comes from the fact that the lands were divided up already by their first appearance in the record, in 1540 (see Campbell 1899, 665).

/ˈkɪlbʌrnz/

This place-name appeared in printed volume 4