Dochrone

Dochrone # BMO S NO370237 3

    (land of) Duchwarn’ 1328 x 1332 NLS Adv. MS 34.5.3 fo 18v [= Balm. Lib. no. 51, where the editor has expanded the form to Duchwarner; this is questionable given the lack of final –er in all the later forms]
    Dewcherone 1572 RMS iv no. 2102
    Docheron 1574 x 1603 Campbell 1899, 617
    Duchrone 1596 Campbell 1899, 621 [30 acres]
    Duchrone 1598 RMS vi no. 702 [16 acres arable + pasture, Balmerino barony]
    cottariis de Doucharne 1602 NAS C2/43 no. 184 [= RMS v no. 1323; see next]
    Ducharne 1602 NAS C2/43 no. 184 [see Bottomcraig BMO]
    (lands of) Dochteroun 1603 RMS vi no. 1411
    Duchane 1603 RMS vi no. 1411
    Ducherne 1603 Retours (Fife) no. 137 [16 acres, in barony of Balmerino]
    Dewchorne 1607 RPC viii, 182–3 [David Gardyne (Gairdin) of Dochrone][84]
    (dwelling house in) Dewchrone 1607 RPC viii, 182–3 [see preceding]
    Dowchane 1614 RMS vii no. 1115
    Dochteroun 1614 RMS vii no. 1115
    Douchron 1630 Campbell 1899, 626 [32 acres]
    Duchray 1631 Campbell 1899, 642
    Deuchrone 1631 Campbell 1899, 642
    Duchrone 1634 RMS ix no. 47 [lands of Duchrone extending to c.16 acres]
    Dochrone 1899 Campbell 1899, 642

? G dabhach + ? G fuaran

‘Well- or spring-davoch’? The first element is probably G dabhach, ‘a davoch’, a term for a large unit of land of variable extent, but generally containing upwards of 200 acres (see Elements Glossary PNF 5, s.v.). If so, the land of Dochrone had been considerably reduced by the sixteenth century, when it is described as consisting of 30 acres (1596). The second element is more problematic, and G fuaran (OG úarán) ‘well, spring’ is suggested only very tentatively.

    Dochrone lay between The Gauldry BMO, FGN and Fincraigs BMO, and belonged to Balmerino Abbey. In Campbell’s section ‘Situation of places not now inhabited, or whose names are disused’, Dochrone is described as ‘32 acres, south and west from Gauldry’, and with Battlelaw to the west (1899, 642).

This place-name appeared in printed volume 4