Bottomcraig

Bottomcraig BMO S NO368245 1 351 60m

    Bodomecragy 1568 RMS v no. 1175
    in villa nostra de Bodumcraig 1574 Balm. Lib. App. no. IX (p. 70) [Henry (Kinnear) commendator of Balmerino feued to Alison Gagie (Gagye) and Janet Bane a house and garden in ‘our toun of Bottomcraig’]
    (common pasture of) Bodumcraig 1574 Balm. Lib. App. no. IX (p. 70)
    Bodincraig 1574 x 1603 Campbell 1899, 616–17
    Boddumcraig 1580 RMS v no. 150 [‘between the lands of Kirkton and Bottomcraig’ (inter terras de Kirktoun et Boddumcraig)]
    Boddumcraig 1596 Campbell 1899, 621
    Bodumcraig 1602 RMS vi no. 1323 [see discussion, below]
    Bodomecraig 1603 RMS vi no. 1411 [and Boddomgraig; barony of Balmerino]
    Boddomegreg 1614 RMS vii no. 1115
    Bodamcraig 1619 Leighton 1840 ii, 79 [inscription on a tombstone at Cupar]
    Boddimcraig 1631 Campbell 1899, 629
    Bodoncraig(e) 1653 RMS x no. 106 [marches given]
    Baddo 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
    Bodoncraig 1653 RMS x no. 106
    Bottomcraig 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife

Sc boddam + Sc craig

‘Bottom of the crag or rock’. The present name has been partly Englished.

    The marches of two portions of the lands of Drumcharry # and Bottomcraig are given in 1602 in MS C2/43 no. 184, printed in part as RMS vi no. 1323, one third of which is described as follows: ‘Which lands of Drumcharry and Bottomcraig lie and march with the lands of the laird of Naughton and the cottar-lands of Bottomcraig and Dochrone # on the east, the lands of Dochrone,  Battlelaw and Cleikamscleuch # on the south, the lands called Crossfaulds # and *Byrescroft belonging to David Ramsay and Alexander Cockburn on the west, and the mill-lead of Balmerino and the burn of Bottomcraig on the north.’ Another third is described thus: ‘and also that third part of Drumcharry and Bottomcraig lying on the south side of the twa-pairt of those lands once occupied by the late Richard Wilson.’[73]

    The settlement of Bottomcraig now straddles the road from Balmerino to Little Inch. The above NGR is of the modern parish kirk of Balmerino, which was moved to Bottomcraig in 1811 (Campbell 1899, 478).

This place-name appeared in printed volume 4