Birkhill

Birkhill BMO S NO335233 1 351 50m NOF

    Birkhill 1601 RMS vi no. 1267 [principal manor-place of lands of Corbie called Birkhill, built beside the *Lodge Den (lie Ludgeden); [72] see Corbie BMO]
    Birkhill 1634 NAS GD137/663 [principal manor-place of the lands of Corbie]
    Birkhill 1697 Retours (Fife) no. 1397
    Birk hill 1703 Adair/Sea-Coast (Tay)
    Birkhill 1721 NAS GD137/668 [‘Birkhill alias Corbie’]
    Birkhill 1729 NAS GD137/669 [barony, toun and mains lands of ‘Birkhill alias Corbie’ including Birkhill, Corbiehill, Thornton (Thorntoun) BMO, Pointack # BMO and *Hungerton (Hungertoun)]
    Birk Hill 1775 Ainslie/Fife [‘Alex Scrymgeour Esquire’]
    Birkhill 1828 SGF
    Birkhill 1845 NSA ix, 588 [the seat of Henry S. Wedderburn]
    Birkhill House 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn

Sc birk + Sc hill

‘Hill where birches grow.’ The lands of Birkhill were ‘anciently called Corbie’ (Leighton 1840 ii, 78), repeated by Campbell (1899, 680), and confirmed by 1721 and 1729 sasines (see early forms). The earliest occurrence of the name (1601) refers to Birkhill as the principal manor-place of the lands of Corbie.

This place-name appeared in printed volume 4