Battle Law BMO R NO361234 1 351 135m
Battellaw 1569 x 1572 RMS iv no. 2102 [quarter of Battle Law and Cleikamscleuch # BMO in list of properties feued to David Balfour of Balbuthie KCQ and Elizabeth Wemyss by John abbot and commendator of Balmerino]
Battellaw 1598 RMS vi no. 702 [to David Ramsay, the lands of Cleikamscleuch # BMO and Battle Law except for two acres on the west side of the said land called Crossfaulds # BMO with adjacent tofts <and> crofts]
Battillow 1602 NAS C2/43 no. 184 [see Bottomcraig BMO]
Battelaw 1603 Retours (Fife) no. 137 [James Ramsay of Corston (Corstone) SLO, half the lands of Cleikamscleuch (Clekcamiscleuch) and Battle Law]
Battellaw 1631 RMS viii no. 1723
Battillaw 1634 RMS ix no. 47
Rathallan 1653 RMS x no. 106 [lands of Dochrone # (Ducrene), Rathallan (for *Bathallau/*Bathallaw) and Cleikamscleuch # (Eleckanescleuch), all forming south march of part of lands of Bottomcraig and Drumcharry # BMO]
the Battle-law 1790s OSA, 86 [‘where the Scots are supposed to have given battle to the Danes, after their retreat from Luncarty, where they again defeated and forced them to fly with precipitation on board their ships ...’]
Battle Law 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
? Sc baittle + Sc law
‘Hill covered with rich grass’?; Sc baittle/battill is used with reference to grass or pasturage to mean ‘rich, fattening for cattle’ (CSD).
OS 6 inch 1st edn (1855) has inscribed ‘Supposed Site of Battle between Scots & Picts and the Danes (10th century)’ immediately east of the hill of Battle Law. Tradition states that the ‘battle’ in question was one in which Kenneth III (997–1005) routed a host of Danes, but this has every sign of being a late invention, occasioned by a re-interpretation of the name. OS Name Book 43, 12 has a quite developed story: ‘It owes its name to the circumstance of a battle being fought on it, between the Danes and the Scotch, in which the latter routed their enemies.’ Also ibid. p. 9 quotes Leighton 1840 ii, 77: ‘Many circumstances concur in pointing out this neighbourhood as the scene of some early conflict; and accordingly tradition affirms that, about the close of the 10th century, on a field called the battle law, the Scots and Picts, then united under Kenneth III, attacked the remaining portion of the Danish army which had fled from the fatal field of Luncarty, and forced them with the greatest precipitation to fly to their ships, then lying at the mouth of the Tay. Near this field stone coffins containing human bones, and broken swords have been found; and at the farm of Peasehill, about a mile north-east of the battle law, in the line of retreat which the Danes would certainly pursue, two ornaments of pure gold, valued at about £14 sterling, were found some years ago’. The site is discussed in NMRS NO32SE 10, where no archaeological evidence is noted of a battle having taken place here.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4