Ballindean BMO S NO368223 1 351 45m
Dunecano de Balendan c.1190 x 1200 St A. Lib. 270 [w.; date St A. Lib. Syll.]
Ballindan 1232 Balm. Lib. no. 1 [a pertinent of land of Coultra and Balmerino]
(mill of) Ballindan 1233 x 1239 Balm. Lib. no. 37 [Earl Malcolm of Fife grants to Balmerino Abbey ‘the whole river which runs from my mill of Rathillet KLM by its old course as it used to run to the mill of Ballindean in the time of Henry Revel and Richard Revel’ (totam aquam que currit de molendino meo de Rathulith per suum antiquum cursum quo currere solebat ad molendinum de Ballindan temporibus Henrici Riuel et Richardi Reuel)]
Balnedan 1234 x 1241 Balm. Lib. no. 7 [see BMO Intro., Coultra: Extent]
Ballindan 1243 x 1254 Balm. Lib. no. 58 [general papal confirmation]
Ballindan 1268 Balm. Lib. no. 56 [see BMO Intro., Medieval Marches]
Ballindain 1459 RMS ii no. 736
Bandane 1598 RMS vi no. 702
Bandene 1603 RMS vi no. 1411 [in barony of Balmerino]
Johnne Duncane in Bandane 1606 RPC viii, 183
Bandene 1614 RMS vii no. 1115
12 acris nuncupat<is> Bandene 1631 RMS viii no. 1723 [‘12 acres called Ballindean’ formerly occupied by George Stirk]
Banden 1662 RMS xi no. 175
Badnadeen 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Bandean 1684 Adair/East Fife [also Bandean m. (for mill or miln), beside a watermill symbol on the south bank of the Motray]
Bandean 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Ballendean 1828 SGF
Ballindean 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
G baile + an + fàn
Baile ind fháin, later baile an fhàin, ‘farm of the low place’, with the older form of the m. gen. sing. definite article ind (see Ó Maolalaigh 1998, 20–1). The G equivalent of Sc nethertoun, this settlement is named in contrast to neighbouring *Ballindard BMO ‘farm of the height, overtoun’, q.v. above.
It may be the place which first appears on record as Easter Ardie (Esterardint) (1215 × 1225 Balm. Lib. no. 3), for which see Ardie BMO, above.
Watson 1926, 137–8 has mistakenly derived Ballindean from baile an deadhain ‘farm of the dean’, and has been followed in this by Nicolaisen 1976, 141; while Barrow suggests ‘river farm’ (1980, 104 note 85).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4