Whitefield ~ AMY S NO2313 2

    lie Quhitefeild 1591 RMS v no. 1946 col. 4 [see discussion, below]
    lie Quhytfeild 1592 RMS v no. 2053 [see CLS Intro., Marches]
    cum communitate & c. in lie Quhitefeild 1593 RMS v no. 2340 [a grant of lands in CLS with commonty rights in the Whitefield (intra limites specificatos: i.e. with marches given, but not printed)]
    terris de Qyhytfeild 1596 x 1598 RMS vi no. 798 [common grazing in Auchtermuchty Hill and in the lands of Whitefield]
    Quhytfeild 1609 RMS vii no. 117 [common grazing as above]
    lie Quhytfeild 1615 RMS vii no. 1171 [common pasture and privilege of commonty in the Whitefield with the lands of Wester Rossie CLS]
    Whytfeild 1663 RMS xi no. 476 [‘common rights on the hills of Auchtermuchtie and the lands called Whytfeild’]
    Whitefield 1801 Sasines no. 5799 [‘the commonty on the hill of Auchtermuchty and the lands called Whitefield’]
    Whitefield Park 1823 RHP531 [see discussion, below]

Sc white + Sc field

For meaning, see Whitefield ABE, above. This is an area of common grazing (paired with the Hill of Auchtermuchty in 1591, 1598, 1609, 1663 entries, above) whose bounds are given in 1591 as: ‘beginning at St Bride’s Well,[62] then northwards by *Lumquhat’s Burn[63] and the arable lands of Lumquhat Mill CLS, from there north-eastwards to the Tulliebegiswell, then eastwards to the arable lands of Wester Rossie CLS, from there south-eastwards by the said arable lands to the Myre Yett of Rossie’ (RMS v no. 1946; see p. 108, above, for Latin text). This description allows us to locate the centre of the Whitefield at NO23 13.

    It was not only lands in Auchtermuchty which had common grazing rights in Whitefield: lands in CLS which marched with Whitefield, such as Wester Rossie CLS, had access to this commonty (see for example 1593 RMS v no. 2340).

    RHP531 (1823) shows Whitefield Park as one of the lands belonging to the burgh of Auchtermuchty. It lies around NO237132, on the east side of the road to Newburgh. The name Whitefield is still known locally: Mr James Storrar, farmer at Rossie, reports that it is used of the land of Auchtermuchty Common, immediately west of the former lands of Lumquhat Mill CLS (which are now part of the farm of Rossie CLS).

This place-name appeared in printed volume 4