in albo campo Esthill nuncup. 1541 RMS iii no. 2460 [‘in the white field called East Hill and in the Swardlands adjacent to them’ (et in lie Suard-landis eisdem adjacen.)]
in albo campo Eisthill vocato 1646 RMS ix no. 1691 [‘in the white field called East Hill in the Swardlands adjacent to them’ (in lie Suaird-landis eis adjacen.)]
(pasture in) Whitfeild nuncupata Easthills in Swairdlands 1674 Retours (Fife) no. 1134
(pasture in) Whytefeild nuncupata Eisthill in Swairdlands 1675 Retours (Fife) no. 1143
White Hill 1775 Ainslie/Fife
the farm of Whitefield 1817 Sasines no. 11,552 [‘... the farm of Whitefield with part of the commonty of Woodmill (Woodmill ABE)’]
Whitehill 1827 Ainslie/East Fife
Whitefield 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Sc white + Sc field
‘White field’. In the earliest occurrences of this name, in a Latin context, it is rendered in Latin (albus campus), suggesting that the underlying Sc whitefield may at that time have been considered a compound appellative or common noun. The early association of Whitefield with Sc swardlands ‘grass-lands’ underlines the pastoral aspect of the area. For a full discussion of white in place-names, see PNF 5, Elements Index, under fionn and white.
In 1990 Whitefield was a roofless ruin, but by 1994 it had been rebuilt. For the fate of a nearby summer-house, see Dillicarey Knowe DBG, below.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4