Inchrye ABE S NO271167 1 75m
de firmis terre de Inchry 1451 ER v, 470 [£5 6 s. 8 d. ‘from fermes of land of’]
de firmis terrarum de Inchry 1454 ER v, 680 [£8 ‘from fermes of lands of’]
Inchery c.1480 Laing 1876, 416 [rent detailed]
terras de Inchery 1526 RMS iii no. 350 [king confirms lands of Inchrye to David Balfour of Inchery and Katherine Crombie (Cramme) his spouse]
terras de Inchery 1541 RMS iii no. 2408 [to David Balfour and Katherine Crombie (Cramme) his wife, lands of Inchrye, provided that wheat and grain grown on that land should be milled at one of the two mills of the king, the Denmylne ABE or Woodmill ABE, and that David and his heirs should not alienate the lands without the king’s consent, and that they appear ready and armed to go with the king to battle at any time]
libera multura ville de Inchery 1541 RMS iii no. 2460 [‘free multure of the vill of Inchrye’; see Denmylne ABE for more detail]
(to David Balfour of) Inchery 1546 Laing Chrs. no. 505 [and to Katherine Crombie (Crommye), his spouse, the lands of Powis (Pullis) STL]
(David Balfour of) Inchry 1558 Laing Chrs. no. 687 [infefted in the lands of Powis (Pullis) STL; his 7 sons mentioned, all named]
(David Balfour of) Inschry 1560 Laing Chrs. no. 711
Inchery 1590 x 1599 Pont MS 54B [first 3 letters scarcely legible]
terras de Inchery 1597 RMS vi no. 525 [to David Balfour of Powis]
Jo. Fluiker in Inchery 1609 RMS vii no. 65 [John Flucker in Inchrye, w.]
Inchery 1628 Retours (Fife) no. 401 [near Grange of Lindores]
Lucherie 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife [engraver’s misreading of Incherie]
Inchray 1657 Retours (Fife) no. 876 [‘the personag or great teinds of the lands of Inchray, within the parochine of Abdie’]
James Bruce in the Coatknow of Incheys 1719 St A. Tests. 57 [probably a transcription error for Inchrye or the like; Coatknow contains Sc cott + Sc knowe ‘knowe or hillock associated with one or more cottages or cottar houses’]
Inchry 1775 Ainslie/Fife
James Anderson of Inchry 1804 Sasines no. 6713 [heir to Alexander Anderson of Pittuncarty ANY PER, ANY FIF) and Inchrye (Inchry), in ‘Inchry and a piece of ground called the Urie’ ABE]
Moss known as the Moss of Lindores or Inchrye 1817 Sasines no. 11,552
Inchrye 1827 Ainslie
Inchry 1828 SGF
the house of Inchrye 1845 NSA ix, 52 [‘which cost £12,000’]
Inchrye Abbey 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn [shown lying on a promontory on the edge of marshy ground to its south-east, south, west and north-west]
G innis + ? G rìgh
‘King’s inch’ ? The first element is G innis ‘inch, low land by water, land on a flood-plain’, referring to the fact that the lands of Inchrye were bounded on the south-east and the east by a long stretch of bog through which flows a burn (now canalised), the main tributary of the Fernie Burn. If the second element is indeed G rìgh ‘king’, it reflects some early royal connection, now lost. It is true that when Inchrye first appears in the record (in 1451) it is in the king’s hands, but so are the adjacent lands of Auld Lindores, which we know were formerly held by Earl David of Huntingdon (William I’s brother) and his heirs.
Inchrye Abbey ( 1855 ), now demolished, was a Gothic Revival house of 1827 (Gifford 1988, 46), ‘abbey’ being added in the nineteenth century ‘to distinguish it from Inchrye in Forfarshire’ according to the OS Name Book (52, 10). In 1925 ‘the seating of a 13th-century buttress finial’ was recorded at the site (NMRS NO21NE 47). A contemporary illustration of the house can be found in Leighton 1840 ii, facing p. 150, who greatly praises it for its beauty.
The name Incheraye ( 1240 x 1260 St A. Lib. p. xxviii) is probably for *Inchgraye, for which see Inchgray # LEU, below.
Inchrye still appears on OS 1 :10,000 (2006), though not on OS Pathf.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4