Dispute Bank

Dispute Bank ABE C NO253197 1 362 0m

    Dispute Bank 1888 x 1914 OS 6 inch 1st revision

The area of this sandbank, among the shifting sands of the Firth of Tay, has a strange history. In 1856 (OS 6 inch 1st edn) the area of OS Pathf. Dispute Bank contained the southern part of Peesweep Bank ABE and the north-eastern part of Higham Bank NBH (which no longer exists), but on OS 6 inch 1st revision (1888 × 1914) it was a separate small sand-bank, lying south of Peesweep Bank. The ‘dispute’ in question may refer to a dispute between the two parishes, NBH and ABE, about which parish the new-born sandbank belonged to, given that in the early twentieth century it occupied an area parts of which had earlier belonged to both parishes.

This place-name appeared in printed volume 4