Berryhill

Berryhill ABE S NO258159 1 95m

    Berryholl 1559 x 1565 RMS iv no. 1631 [grant by John, abbot of Lindores, of 8 oxgates of lands of Grangia and Berryholl to Alexander Ballingall and his wife Agnes; part of lands of Lindores Abbey]
    the Berieholl c.1560 s Assumption, 33
    Berryholl 1590 x 1599 Pont MS 54B
    Berrieholl 1600 RMS vi no. 1032 [in barony of Grange of Lindores]
    Berriehoill 1617 RMS vii no. 1732 [to Andrew Lord Gray, ‘three ploughlands of Grange of Lindores called Berryhill’ (trium aratrorum Grangie de Lundoiris nuncupatorum Berriehoill)]
    Berriholl c.1636 x 1652 Gordon MS 54A
    (Philp portionar of) Berriehoil 1637 Retours (Fife) no. 545
    Berriehoil 1637 Retours (Fife) no. 545 [8 oxgates of lands of Grange called]
    Berryhol 1642 Gordon MS Fife
    Berihol 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
    Berryholl 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
    Baryhole 1753 Roy sheet 18, 2
    Berry Hole 1775 Ainslie/Fife
    Berryhole 1827 Ainslie/East Fife
    Berryhole 1828 SGF
    Berryhill 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn

Sc berry + Sc holl

‘Hollow where berries grow’. The change from holl to hill is late, first appearing on OS 6 inch 1st edn. It appears on the OS Pathf. as ‘Berryhill Farm’.

This place-name appeared in printed volume 4