Muirfield

Muirfield CLS/MML S NO288145 3

    de firmis terrarum de Murefelde 1451 ER v, 466 [13 s. 4 d. ‘from fermes of lands of’; after Merston CLS and before Ramornie and Lawfield KTT]
    Murefeld 1452 x 1480 RMS ii no. 1444 [‘the Ferry, Pathcondie MML, Muirfield, and lands of priory of Pittenweem’ (le Fery, Petcunty, Murefeld, ac terras de prioratu de Petynweme); St Andrews Church land]
    de firmis terre de Murefeild 1453 ER v, 526 [as at 1451 ER v, 466]
    de firmis terre de le Murefeild 1453 ER v, 529 [6 s. 8 d.; otherwise as at 1451 ER v, 466]
    Murefeild 1540 Fraser, Melville iii no. 77 [‘Pitcunte et Murefeild’, joint payment of rent]
    Murefeild 1540 Fraser, Melville iii no. 79 [‘Pitcunte et Murefeild’ in bishop’s lordship of Monimail]
    Murefeild 1542 St A. Rent. 134 [‘Petcunte with Murefeild’]
    Murefeild 1576 RMS iv no. 2521 [James Melville of Halhill grants to his wife, Christine, in life-rent, half the lands of Halhill CLS (q.v.) and their mill, with half the lands of Muirfield]
    terras de Murefeild 1625 RMS viii no. 889 [James Melville of Halhill CLS, lands of Easter Collessie called Halhill … and ‘lands of Muirfield’]
    terras de Murefeild 1646 RMS ix no. 1628 [in barony of Halhill]
    pro Muirfeild 1646 RMS ix no. 1628 [reddendo or rent ‘for *Muirfield’, 23 s.]
    terris de Muirfeild 1648 Retours (Fife) no. 754 [George Melville of Monimail]
    small-holding of Muirfield 1920 Kinloch Estate Particulars [‘extending to 20 acres or thereby. Tenanted by John Borthwick, under Lease for 19 years, from Martinmas 1907. Rent £15, payable half-yearly at Whitsunday and Martinmas’]

Sc muir + Sc field

‘Field or area of enclosed land on or by a muir’. The eponymous muir or rough (upland) grazing is most likely the southern slopes of the Ochils rising immediately north-west of Pathcondie MML. It shares its specific with *Muirhall MML,[9] also closely associated with Pathcondie. It is possible that Muirhall was coined to refer to that piece of Muirfield which remained in the barony of Monimail when the rest of Muirfield became part of Halhill CLS.

    The NGR above is suggested by the constant recurrence of Muirfield in combination with Pathcondie MML, and its later association with Halhill CLS, which lies 800 m south-west of Pathcondie.

This place-name appeared in printed volume 4