cum fortalicio the New-wark de S<anct Monanis> 1596 RMS vi no. 461 [‘with the fortalice the Newark of St Monans’, to William Sandilands, among the lands of the newly founded burgh of barony of St Monans]
Castell 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Newwark 1649 RMS ix no. 2060 [‘with the tower of St Monans called Newark’ (cum turre de Sanct-Monance vocata Newwark)]
Cast. of S. Monans 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Newwork 1684 Adair/East Fife
Newark Castle 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
New Wark 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Newark 1828 SGF [also shows Ruins at the site of the castle]
Newark 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn [also shows Newark Castle (remains of)]
tenandry and lordship of Newark or Saint Monance 1870 Elie Disposition 1870, fo 52r.
Sc new + Sc wark
‘New work, new structure’. The name originally referred to the castle, but there is now a settlement about 300 m to the north, and this gives the above NGR. The castle (at NO518011) is called Cast<le> of S. Monans 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife. See also SMS Introduction, above.
Archaeological investigation suggests that the oldest surviving part of the castle dates to the fifteenth century, at which time it was presumably first called the New Wark, though we have no occurrences of the name till the end of the sixteenth century. The building was further developed in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries (DES 2002, 57).
Newark is now united with Bowhouse ELI as a single farm.
/njuˈark/ also /ˈnjuərk/.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3