Strathtyrum SSL S NO492173 1 5m
Trestirum 1198 x 1199 St A. Lib. 318 [surrendered by the Culdees to the canons of St Andrews Priory]
Trestirum 1212 St A. Lib. 315 [canons grant Strathtyrum to the archdeacon; see SSL Introduction, Local Detail; some marches given]
terram de Trestirum 1212 St A. Lib. 315
Trathyrum c. 1220 Terrier A [17/18th c. copy; by exchange for Strathtyrum the canons have Craigtoun (Cragin) CMN and *Pittendreich from the archdeacon]
Thrathtyrum c. 1220 Terrier A [17/18th c. copy; archdeacon holds Strathtyrum]
Stratyrum 1405 St A. Lib. 422 [see SSL Introduction, Local Detail for bounds]
Stratirne 1452 x 1480 RMS ii no. 1444 [St Andrews Church land]
Stratyrum c.1530 MacLaine 1996, 27 [in the poem ‘Sym and his Bruder’, the name rhymes with ‘myr him’, ‘requyr him’ and ‘flyr him’]
Strathtyrum c.1550 NAS National Register of Archives 0153/13 [feu-charter by Robert Pitcairn principal archdeacon of St Andrews, with consent of James archbishop of St Andrews in favour of Alexander Inglis of Pettinbrog (Pittenbroig # LEU?), Margaret Barclay of Tarvit (Tervet), his spouse, and John Inglis, their natural son, of the lands of Strathyrum and *Cooks Crofts (Cuickis Croftis) with house and orchard thereof belonging to the principal archdeacon]
Straythtyrum 1590 St A. Kirk Sess. 662
Stratyrum 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
Strathtyrum 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
the lands of Sartyrum 1669 Lamont’s Diary 211 [Archbishop of St Andrews, Mr Sharpe, bought the lands from Thomas Inglis (Ingells) elder and younger]
Stratyrome 1699 Retours (Fife) no. 1420 [3 daughters of David Taylor, minister, in 4 acres, 3 roods of arable lands of Strathtyrum]
St. Iram 1753 Roy sheet 19, 5
Strathtyrum 1775 Ainslie/Fife [Sandylands Esquire]
Stratyrum 1797 Martine 1797, 206 [written 1683]
Strathtyrum 1828 SGF
Strathtyrum 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
G treabh or Pictish * trev + ? G tioram
‘Dry farm’? The assimilation of the first (generic) element to the common place-name element strath seems to have occurred between c.1220 and 1405 (see early forms). A similar phenomenon might be observed in Strathairly LAR, but the lack of forms earlier than the fifteenth century leave this unprovable. A close examination of the MS of St A. Lib. (NAS GD45/27/8 fos 142v, 141r) supports the readings Trest-, although Treft- cannot be entirely ruled out.
If the specific is G tioram ‘dry’, then it is likely that the whole name is a G coining. However, since the first element is more common in P-Celtic than Q-Celtic place-names, it is possible that it was a Pictish name, the second element of which has been either translated or re-interpreted.
Roy (1753) seems to have inadvertently invented a new saint by misreading his notes. Such ‘hagio-generation’ can also be seen in St Ford (properly Sand Ford) ELI (above) and St Fort FGN (PNF 4).
The name appears on OS Pathf. 363 in Strathtyrum House and Strathtyrum Farm, which latter supplies the above NGR.
/straθˈtairəm/ or /strəθˈtairəm/.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3