Stonywynd SSL S NO563141 1 363 35m
Ale ander Duncan of Stonnywynd 1781 Sasines no. 200 [see Chesterhill SSL]
Stonywynd 1817 Sasines no. 11746 [William Duncan ... ‘1 Butt of land from the fourth part of the lands of Byrehills (Boarhills SSL), which lands are now called Stonywynd’]
Sc stany + Sc wynd
‘Stony narrow alley or lane’. From the 1817 Sasine it appears that Stonywynd represents a quarter of the lands of Boarhills, which see for more details. The Duncan family of Stonywynd had given their name to a local muir: ‘land of Kingask, and Newbigging of Kingask; and part of the Muir of Boarhills <c.16 acres> commonly called Duncan’s Muir 1819 Sasines no. 12378.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3