Smiddygreen

Smiddygreen # SSL S NO564138 1

Smiddy greine 1592 APS iii p. 549
Smiddiegreine 1593 RMS v no. 2273 [among lands of church of St Andrews, in the barony of Boarhills (Byrhillis) and Polduff (Polduf) SSL]
Mr Ale ander Jarden of Smyddy Grein 1594 St A. Kirk Sess. 782 [Jardin(e)]
Smiddie green 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Smiddygreen 1790s OSA, 730
Smiddygreen 1828 SGF [also Smiddygreen Ho<use>]

Sc smiddie + Sc green

‘Smithy or blacksmith’s green’. This was the old name of Kenlygreen Farm and House. The name was changed by 1845; the present farmer at Kenlygreen, Mr Frank Roger, has a fine water-coloured estate plan dated 1845 of Kenlygreen, the property of Alexander Russell (surveyed by John Duncan).[338] The marches of the farm have remained unchanged, except that they no longer include Kenlygreen House and the field with the old doocot.

This place-name appeared in printed volume 3