Baith-Swentoun 1580 RMS iv no. 2959 [feued to John Durie by commendator of Dunfermline Abbey]
Swintounesbaith 1593 Dunf. Reg. p. 494 [half the vill and lands of Baith called Swintounesbaith feued to John Dewar]
Swyntounis-Baith 1626 Retours (Fife) no. 382 [to Robert Mudie portioner of Masterton (Maistertoun) DFL half the vill and lands of Baith under the hill alias Swyntounis-Baith in the parish of Dunfermline]
Swentons B. 1642 Gordon MS Fife [B. is an abbreviation for Beth or the like]
Swentons beth 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Sellyntounsbaith 1646 Henderson 1865, 18 [for Swyntounsbaith]
Swintons Beath 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Swintonbeath 1775 Ainslie/Fife [beside Hillbeath]
Swintonsbeath 1828 SGF
Swinton’s Beath 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
pn Swinton + en Beath
It formed half of the lands of *Beath under the Hill, later Hill of Beath. The other half of the lands of Hill of Beath were known as *Beath-Bonally, for details of which see Hill of Beath above.
From an action raised in 1533 in the regality court of Dunfermline by David Bonnaly and Mark Swynton against Master Andrew Stewart (Andro Stwart) and Thomas Keir (Thom Keyr) regarding the possession of ‘ane moss’, it appears that there were Swintons in half the lands of *Beath under the Hill by this time (Dunf. Reg. Ct. Bk. 99). For details of the Swintons or Swyntons of Inverkeithing, who are probably the family in question here, see Dunf. Reg. Ct. Bk. 195–6.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1