Seafield Mains SSL S NO470176 1 363 5m NEF
Seafield 1775 Ainslie/Fife [= OS Pathf. Easter Kincaple Farm]
Sea Field Farm of Easter Kincaple 1786 Easter Kincaple Plan [= OS Pathf. Easter Kincaple Farm]
Seafield 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn [= OS Pathf. Easter Kincaple Farm]
Seafield Mains 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn [= OS Pathf. Seafield Mains]
en Seafield + Sc mains
The name Seafield is probably Scots rather than Scottish Standard English, and was originally applied to a field or enclosed agricultural land beside the sea (or in this case, beside the Eden Estuary) on the lands of Easter Kincaple. For more discussion of the name, see Seafield KGH (PNF 1).
SGF (1828) and OS 6 inch (1855) show Seafield at OS Pathf. Easter Kincaple Farm (NO474179). NGR. OS Pathf. shows Seafield Mains at NO470176, shown on SGF (1828) simply as Mains. On the detailed plan of the lands of Easter Kincaple, dated 1786, OS Pathf. Seafield Mains is called Mains Farm of Easter Kincaple (Easter Kincaple Plan). It is clear, therefore, that of the two modern farms in this eastern corner of the lands of Kincaple, Seafield Mains is the older settlement, with Easter Kincaple Farm a later development on a field called Seafield. Matters are further confused by the fact that on OS 6 inch 1st edn (1855) OS Pathf. Kincaple House is called Easter Kincaple. However, on SGF (1828) this is called Bloomhill, and on the Easter Kincaple Plan of 1786 it is Bloom Hill Farm. It is likely, therefore, that this was another farm created out of the lands of Easter Kincaple, and, like OS Pathf. Easter Kincaple Farm, secondary to the core settlement at NO470176.
The field immediately south of Seafield Mains (Easter Kincaple) is called St Mungo’s Bank and in it was a well called St Mungo’s well towards its south-east corner at NO472175 (1786 Easter Kincaple Plan). On the same plan, the next field to the east is called Cross Sides: this could refer to a cross erected in connection with the well, or equally it could refer to the slope here lying across or athwart, possibly across an old road from Easter Kincaple to St Andrews. For other names on this plan, see under Kincaple SSL, above.
On Ainslie/Fife (1775) a Bleachfield is shown approximately where Seafield Mains is today, while Ainslie’s Seafield is to the north-east, at OS Pathf. Easter Kincaple Farm. Also on the lands of Seafield OS 6 inch 1st edn shows Seafield Brick and Tile Works (NO471183), with its own Clay Pit beside it, and a Tram Road leading from it to the railway line.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3