Stevenson’s Beath

Stevenson’s Beath # BEA DFL S NT154915 1 155m

Stevinstounis-Beicht 1557 x 1585 RMS v no. 898 [one of the lands bordering *Beath-Coutts]
Stevinstounis-Beith 1557 x 1585 RMS v no. 898 [one of the lands bordering *Beath-Halkett]
Stevinsounis-Beith 1557 x 1585 RMS v no. 898 [one of the lands bordering *Beath-Bell]
Baith-Stevinsoun 1563 RMS iv no. 1476
Steinsons Beth 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Steinsonsbeth 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Stevinsonsbaith 1646 Henderson 1865, 18
Stevensonebaith 1680 Retours (Fife) no. 1178 [John Stevensone of Stevensonebaith in parish of Dunfermline]
Steanson 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Stevensonsbeath 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Stevensonsheath 1828 SGF [sic]
Stevenson’s Beath 1899 OS 1 inch 2nd edn.

pn Stevenson + en Beath

Thom<as> Stevynsone is listed in 1532 as one of the tenants of lands ‘lyand besyid the toune of Dunfermlyng halden of the Abbat and convent of the samyn’ (Dunf. Reg. Ct. Bk. 62). The farm of Stevenson’s Beath lay on the east side of the old Great North Road, now the north-west corner of the town of Cowdenbeath.

This place-name appeared in printed volume 1