Prior Muir SSL S NO528133 1 363 110m SOF
The Pryors Mvuir 1642 Gordon MS Fife
carbonibus in lie Pryourmure 1643 RMS ix no. 1481 [‘the touns of Craigtoun and Lumbo SSL, with the meadow of Craigtoun and the coals in the Prior Muir commonly called the commonty between Craigtoun and Drumcarrow Craig’ (villas de Craigtoun et Lumby, cum prato de Craigtoun, et carbonibus in lie Pryourmure vulgo the communtie inter Craigtoun et Drumcarrocraig) listed amongst the lands granted to James Lumsden of Innergellie (Innergellie) KRY, which had belonged to the late Sir John Wemyss (Weyms) of Craigtoun]
Pryors-Muir 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Priors Muir 1684 Adair/East Fife
Prior Muir 1807 Sasine no. 7607
Sc prior + Sc muir
The prior in the name is the prior of St Andrews Priory, who held extensive lands in this area, which is within the Boar’s Raik.
On Gordon MS Fife and Blaeu (Gordon) Fife the name represents not a settlement, but a wide area on both sides of the SSL/CMN border, including Priorletham (Pryorlathon) CMN. It is defined as the commonty between Craigtoun CMN and Drumcarrow Craig CMN in 1643 (RMS ix no. 1481; see above for more details).
OS 6 inch (1855) shows a settlement called Priory Bank at the above NGR.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3