Pilmour SSL S NO495177 1 5m
Pilmor Cottage 1828 SGF
Pilmor Links 1828 SGF
Pilmour Cottage 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
‘A piece of common land enclosed by a fence (Sc peel or pele) and cultivated as arable ground’ (CSD). Pilmor Links (1828) is the site of St Andrews Old Course, one of the most famous golf courses in the world. Two early plans of the Old Course are RHP404/1-2 (1821) and RHP414 (1836). Both show 10 holes, each named, including (on the former) Cunnen (3), Cart Gate (4), Ballfield (5), Hole o’ Cross (6) and Hole o’ Tarn (9); the equivalents on the latter, with different numbering, are: Hole of Bafield (3), Hole of Cartgate (4), Hole of Cunnin Links or Ginger Beer Hole (5), Hole of Cross (6) and Hole of Turn or Short Hole (9); it even names the bunkers! The earlier map was surveyed by A. Martin for James Cheape Esq. of Strathtyrum, to which estate the Pilmour Links were attached; the latter by W. J. Chalmers by order of the Royal St Andrews Golfing Society.
Pilmour Links is also a street-name near the Old Course. The site of OS Pathf. Pilmour Cottage is shown on OS Explorer (2001) as Pilmour House.
The most northern point of the tongue of land on which Pilmour Links lie is called on Ainslie/Fife (1775) Wood Point. This name presumably refers to the large amount of drift-wood which is found there, jutting out as it does into the tidal estuary of the Eden where it meets the open sea. This same point is now called OS Pathf. Out Head, a name which first appears as such on SGF (1828).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3