Shiells

Shiells BEA S NT148946 1 120m

Schelis 1543 RMS iii no. 2915 [a division of Buthadlach (Bathilokis)]
the Shelis 1574 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 218
the Scheles 1574 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 220 [‘four men occupeis’]
the Scheillis 1574 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 222
Schelis 1593 Retours (Fife) no. 1515
Shiels 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Shiels 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Shield 1828 SGF
Shealls 1872 Sasines no. 1544
Shiells 1899 OS 1 inch 2nd edn.

Sc shiel

‘Shielings’. Shiells, now part of Kelty, was originally a division of the large, pastoral estate of Buthadlach # BEA.

On Roy’s map (1753) Shiels is between Blackfold and Southtoft to the north-west, Leuchatsbeath (Lumwhut) to the east, and Hilton (Hiltown) to the south-east.

This place-name appeared in printed volume 1