Law Mill SSL S NO492158 1 30m
the Law-mylne 1571 NAS C2/33 no. 76 [‘the lade going down to the lower mill of Balone SSL called the Law Mill’ (aqueductum discendentem ad inferius molendinum de Balloun vocatum the Law-mylne); printed (with minor variation) as RMS iv no. 2105; see Balone, above, for full text]
Law Mylne 1587 Assumption, 10 [one of the lands belonging to St Andrews Priory, feued for £4]
Lawmyll 1587 Assumption, 19 [in a list of land belonging to St Andrews Priory, feued to Robert Murray and James Yeman for £4]
Lawmill 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Law Mill 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Sc law + Sc miln
Sc law ‘low, lower’ is a variant of Sc laich ‘low’ (see CSD). It was the lower mill of Balone SSL (RMS iv no. 2105). There is mention of two mills at Balone as early as 1440, though neither is named more specifically (St A. Cop. 72).
The mill-pond and some of the old mill buildings of Law Mill survive picturesquely at the west end of the Lade Braes. Nearby the 1855 OS 6 inch map shows a settlement called Lawpark and nearby Lawpark Nursery.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3