Kirkheugh SSL R NO515166 1 15m
(provost of the) Kirkheuch of Sanctandrois 1535 RSS ii no. 1696 col. 6
kirk of the Lady Heuch c.1560 s Assumption, 80 [‘the prebendarie of Kinkell within the college kirk of the Lady Heuch besyd Sanctandrois ...’]
Kirkheuchis c.1560 s Assumption, 87 [‘prebendarie of Kirkheuchis callit Kernis (Cairns SSL)’]
Kirkheuch 1576 RMS iv no. 2498 [Robert Denestoun,  one of the prebendaries of the collegiate church of Kirkheugh]
officium balliatus praepositurae de Kirkheuch 1662 Retours (Fife) no. 914 [to Thomas Hope of Craighall CER, ‘the office of bailiff of the provostry of Kirkheugh and of the lands belonging to the same, with the sasine oxen’ (et terrarum ad idem spectantibus, cum bobus sasinarum lie sasine oxen)]
Kirkheugh 1790s OSA, 144 [Ceres belonged to the provostry of Kirkheugh, ‘some remains of which are still to be seen’]
Kirk Heugh or St Mary’s Church 1820 NLS EU.31.W [John Wood, Plan of the City of St Andrews]
the Kirkheuch or Kirkhill 1845 NSA ix, 468
Kirkheugh 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Sc kirk + Sc heuch
‘Church cliff or steep bank’. The eponymous kirk is that of St Mary’s of the Rock, originally the site of the church of the Culdees, perched on the cliff (or heuch) above St Andrews harbour. This is referred to as the ‘collegiate church and royal chapel of the Blessed Virgin Mary beside the city of St Andrews’ in 1501, when its prebends of Kinkell SSL, Dura KMB, Lambieletham CMN and Kinglassie SSL are listed, as well as the prebend which is endowed with 10 merks’ worth of the lands of Kinaldy CMN and Cairns SSL. Its dedication to Mary explains the alternative name Lady Heuch found in the sixteenth century.
The site still has the remains of a cruciform church, and an extensive medieval cemetery has been revealed by excavation and by the building of two gun platforms on the site in 1860 (NMRS NO51NW 7); several examples of early Christian carved stones have also been found here (Kenworthy 1978–80).
Kirkheugh is also known as Kirkhill, and shown as such on OS 1:10,000 map (2006). Kirkheugh Cottage stands close to the south side of the collegiate church.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3