Kingask SSL S NO542145 1 363 65m NEF
Kingasc 1198 x 1199 St A. Lib. 318 [held by the Culdees]
Kingerg c.1220 Terrier E [17/18th c. copy; held by Culdees]
Kingask 1452 x 1480 RMS ii no. 1444 [St Andrews Church land, listed between Kinkell (Kinkell) SSL and Boarhills (Byrehill) SSL]
prebenda de Kingask 1532 RSS ii no. 1438 [‘within the collegiate church of the Blessed Virgin Mary of the Rock’ (infra ecclesiam collegiatam BVM de Rupe)]
Kyngask c.1560 s Assumption, 77 [‘Prebend of Kynglasssie and Kyngask’, pertaining to Thomas Methven, a prebend of St Mary on the Rock church]
Keangask 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Kingask 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Kingask 1753 Roy sheet 19, 5
Gingask 1775 Ainslie/Fife [shown near the shore-line, c.800 m north of OS Pathf. Kingask]
Kingask 1828 SGF [shown near the shore-line]
G ceann + G gasg
‘Head or end of (the) tail-like formation or ridge’. It was one of the lands held by the Culdess of St Andrews (see SSL Introduction). The site of OS Pathf. Kingask is named on earlier maps (Ainslie/Fife/1775 and SGF/1828) as Newbiggin and Newbigging respectively. These two maps show Gingask/Kingask closer to the shore at about NO544151.
OS Pathf. also shows Kingask Quarry. Much if not all of the lands of Kingask are now part of a new golf course (see also Kinkell SSL, below).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3