Denbrae SSL S NO475154 1 60m
dimedietatem ville et terrarum de Denebray 1584 x 1585 RMS v no. 804 [the commendator of the priory of St Andrews feus to John Martin (Mairteine), merchant of St Andrews, and his wife Catherine Clephane (Katrin<a> Clepane), ‘half of the toun and of the lands of Denbrae’, in the lordship of the priory of St Andrews, and which Alex Dewar and Beatrix Oliphant have resigned]
Tenenbray 1587 Assumption, 10 [Dambray in margin; leased for £9 6 s. 8 d.]
Denebray 1587 Assumption, 12 [listed in the rental of the teind sheaves of the St Andrews Priory, within the parish of St Andrews (the Trinity); leased for 1 boll wheat, 6 bolls bere, 1 chalder oats]
Denbrey 1593 RMS v no. 2273 col. 5
Denbra 1596 Retours (Fife) no. 1528 [Alexander Wood of Lambieletham CMN; 50 merks yearly from half the toun and lands of Denbrae (Denbra)]
Denbrae 1775 Ainslie/Fife [‘D. Martin Esquire’]
Denbrae 1828 SGF [also shows Denbrae Farm as separate site]
Denbrae 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Sc den + Sc brae
The den or steep valley in question is that through which flows the Claremont Burn, and which is referred to simply as the Den (which name appears also on the OS Pathf. NO478153). According to the Assumption and RMS references, it belonged to St Andrews Priory before the Reformation, and may have formed part of the priory’s lands of Balone SSL. However, it may also be one of the lands belonging to the priory, identified in charters of the twelfth and thirteenth centuries by names which are now lost.
Denbrae is marked on OS 6 inch (1855) at the above NGR, and this site is shown as Denbrae House on OS 1 inch ‘Popular’ edn (1927) and as Windward Farm on OS Pathf. (1985). Denbrae Mill, now disused, lies on the Kinness Burn beside Dewars Mill SSL. OS Pathf. also shows Denbrae Farm at NO475150, so called on SGF (1828).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3