Craiganweir # SSL S NO566133 1 30m
Craiginwar 1601 RMS vi no. 1165 [name of mill of Inchmurdo # SSL, q.v.; mill called Craiginwar, mill-lands and astrict multures of lands of Boarhills (Byrehills), Polduff # (Polduf) SSL, Kinglassie SSL and Kingask SSL]
(mill of) Craigievar or Petiesmill called Parkmiln 1784 Sasines no. 949
(mill of) Craiginvar et c.1784 Sasines no. 950
(mill of) Craigenwar or Paties Miln now called Park Miln 1808 Sasines no. 8193
Craiganweir 1850s OS Name Book 64, 19 [‘A ledge of perpendicular Rocks on the West side of the Kenly Water opposite Park Mill’]
Craiganweir 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn [the name of a ‘petrifying spring’ at NO566131]
G creag + ?
‘Rock of ...?’ This is a difficult name, and the fact that no local pronunciation survives makes it even more difficult. If the stress fell on the first and last syllables, this would suggest that the medial syllable was either the definite article or a suffix added to Craig- (probably the diminutive suffix –an). If, however, the stress fell on this medial syllable, it would suggest that we are dealing with a disyllabic second element inwar/ievar/enwar etc. There is now a weir (on the Kenly Water) at this site, and this has probably led to a re-interpretation of the final element in the nineteenth century.
An alternative name for Park Mill (q.v.), it is on the Kenly Water, near the site of the bishop’s palace at Inchmurdo # SSL. Its third alias Petiesmill or Paties Miln most likely derives from the Fife surname Peatie, or from Patie (also written Pattie), for both of which see Black 1946, s.n.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3