Boarhills

Boarhills SSL S NO565141 1 363 35m NEF

Byrehill 1452 x 1480 RMS ii no. 1444 [St Andrews Church land]
Byrhyll 1517 Crail Chrs. no. 24 [lying north of Pitmilly (Petmulye) KBS]
Byrehillis 1538 St A. Rent. [‘domini<um> de Byrehillis et Polduff ]
Byrehillis 1560s Assumption, 2 [the lordship of Boarhills and Polduff]
the Byrehillis 1560s Assumption, 5
dominio suo de Byrehillis 1579 x 1583 RMS v no. 585 [Patrick archbishop of St Andrews feus to Alexander Winchester, citizen of St Andrews, and Beatrice Geddie (Gady) his wife, the lands of Kinglassie (Kinglessye) SSL with its brewery (brasina) and the house of Lochmalony SSL, a quarter part of the lands and toun of Polduff (Palduffe) SSL, with access to the sea ‘for the karying and bringing of the wraik and wair fra the sea to the saidis landis of Kinglessye and Palduffe’, in his lordship of Byrehillis][266]
(lordship & barony of) Byrhillis 1593 RMS v no.2273 [lordship and barony of Boarhills and Polduff (Polduf) SSL, comprising vills and lands of ‘Byrhillis, Polduf, Smiddiegreine, Kylmannane, Barrachlie, Kinglassy, Kyngask, Kylrynnie, Laderny, Parkmylne et Bonytoun’]
Byrhills 1640 Retours (Fife) no. 598 [John Young, portionar of Boarhills]
Byrehill 1641 RMS ix no.1005
Byrehilles 1642 RMS ix no.1170 [formerly archbishop of St Andrews land]
in dominio de Byrhill 1644 Retours (Fife) no. 670 [James Winchester of Kinglassie SSL, in the lands of Kinglassie SSL, with the house of Lochmalony (Lochmolonie) SSL, a quarter of the toun and lands of Polduff, all ‘in the lordship of Boarhills’]
Bayre-hills 1649 Lamont’s Diary 8
Byer hills 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Byrehill 1753 Roy sheet 19, 5
Bear Hills 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Boarhills 1781 Sasines no. 200
Byrehills & Boarhills 1817 Sasines no. 11746 [see discussion, below]
Muir of Boarhills 1819 Sasines no. 12378 [part of which called Duncan’s Muir; see Stonywynd SSL]
Boarhills 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn

Sc byre + Sc hill

‘A hill or hills associated with a byre or byres’. The change to Boarhills probably came about through antiquarian awareness of the Boar’s Raik # SSL, the OSc translation of Cursus Apri, an old name for the lands around St Andrews (see SSL Introduction, Boar’s Raik). The sasine of 1817 (Sasines no. 11746) clearly shows the moment of transition from Byre- to Boar-, containing as it does both forms of the name.

This same sasine (in favour of William Duncan) also contains several field-names, at least one of which, Drumkyle (q.v.), goes back to the Gaelic-speaking period: ‘1 Butt of land from the fourth part of the lands of Byrehills, which lands are now called Stonywynd ... a field of land called Wester Lawside; these fields called Bochlett and Rillies,[267] Westfield and Elent-Braes, consisting in all of 16 acres ... ; piece of land called the head of Thrummond[268] consisting of 1 Rood ... of lands of Boarhills; part of a piece of land called Drumkyle (1 acre) ... + 4 acres ... in that territory called Broomfaulds and Baldougal and a small piece of a field called Chesterhill’. For Bochlett, see Barrachlie # SSL, above.

OS Pathf. shows Boarhills (village), and Boarhills Farm.

/bor hɪlz/

This place-name appeared in printed volume 3