Baldougal # SSL S NO5614 2
Baledufgall c.1220 Terrier F [17/18th c. copy; lands held by bp and his men]
Baldougall 1781 Sasines no. 200 [‘Alexander Duncan of Stonnywynd seised in parts of Boarhills, part of Broomfaulds and Baldougall, and a piece of ground called Chesterhill’]
Baldougal 1817 Sasines no. 11746 [‘4 acres in the territory called Broomfaulds and Baldougal, and a small piece of a field called Chesterhill’]
G baile + pn Dùghall
‘Dugald’s farm’. Dugald or Dougal is first recorded as a personal name in Ireland in 912 as Dubgall, and as a common noun means ‘dark stranger’, referring to the Danes (Macbain 1911, 399). Dufgal son of Mocche was a prominent member of Fothrif society in the 1120s (St A. Lib. 117–18).
It is closely associated with the lands near Boarhills. There is a field on the farm of Stonywynd SSL called MacDougal, which may well derive from this name. The field is centred at NO571147.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3