Croft Hill 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Sc croft + Sc hill
There are various minor names in Pittenweem with the element croft: in 1592 the *Croftcraig is mentioned in connection to a land-holding ‘in the burgh of Pittenweem, in front of the western door of the monastery beneath the rocks or crags, next to the Croftcraig’ (in burgo de Pettinweme ante januam occidentalem monasterii ejusdem subter rupes, juxta lie Croftcraig) (RMS v no. 2144). A place is described among lands of the lordship of Pittenweem in 1634 as ‘the croft of *Craig called *Monkscroft’ (croftam de Craig nuncupatam Monkiscroft), and must refer to the same place (Retours no. 504). There was also a place called the Crofts (lie Croftis) on the north side of the main street of Pittenweem, as well as one called simply the Croft (lie Croft) (RMS v no. 2305; see PIT Introduction, Lands and Burgh). It is this last place which may be the eponymous croft of Croft Hill.
GREEN DYKES PIT, ANR S NO529028 1 20m SOF
Parkdykis alias Greindykis 1629 Retours (Fife) no. 411 [John Moncrieff of Balcaskie CBE, ‘in the marshy lands commonly called Park Dykes alias Green Dykes’ (terris paludosis vulgo Parkdykis alias Greindykis)]
Eister Greindykes 1634 Retours (Fife) no. 504 [‘the lands of Grangemuir and Easter Green Dykes’ (terras de Graingmuir et Eister Greindykes), part of the lordship of Pittenweem; see PIT Introduction]
Greensdyck 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Eister Greindykis 1643 Retours (Fife) no. 642 [Alexander earl of Kellie]
Grendeykis 1647 Retours (Fife) no. 728 [William Moncrieff, in barony of Balcaskie CBE]
Greendyke 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
the Greendykes 1665 RMS xi no. 833 [see PIT Introduction]
Easter Greendykes 1699 Retours (Fife) no. 1430
Green Dykes 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Greendykes 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Greendykes 1870 Elie Disposition fo 49v [‘piece of ground called the Cast from Greendykes south to Coalpitmuir, measuring one rood thirty one falls and fourteen perches’]
Greendykes 1870 Elie Disposition fo 52r [see discussion below]
Sc green + Sc dyke
‘Green ditches’, or ‘green walls’. Sc dyke could formerly mean both ‘ditch’ and ‘wall’, although in modern Scots and Scottish Standard English it means only ‘wall’. If meaning ‘wall’, then the green dykes were probably so described because they were made of turf and therefore had grass growing on them. The existence of an associated piece of ground called The Cast (see Green Dykes early forms, under 1870) suggests some kind of ditch, deriving as it does from Sc cast ‘ditch, cutting, excavation’. It is not clear whether this is a continuation of the same feature referred to in the name Green Dykes, or a different (but almost certainly related) feature. In the earliest reference to Green Dykes it is given the alias *Parkdykes, and appears among the lands of nearby Balcaskie CBE. In 1870 ‘All and Haill the lands of Greendykes ... on the south side of the Drivel Burn (Dreel)’ were still ‘parts of the Lands and Barony of Balcaskie’ CBE (Elie Disposition fo 52r).
Martin 1999, 64, Illustration 4.29, shows: ‘Crop marks at the site of the now vanished farm of Greendykes, which was noted by Hogg [Greendykes and Greendykes Lands 1785 RHP22] and later recorded on the 1855 OS map [Martin 1999, 65]. Indications of the mid 19th-century enclosed field system, and of earlier rig-and-furrow cultivation, may be discerned. In the foreground, and along the edge of the trees, are crop marks of round and square barrows of probably Iron Age date. These ploughed-out prehistoric earthworks, when upstanding, no doubt provided Greendykes with its name, reminding us that settlement in the landscape is an ever-changing continuum’ (Caption on p. 63).
To the east of the lands of Green Dykes in 1629 lay Waldfaulds (Retours no. 411). This probably contains Sc wad, also spelt waid(e) and wa(u)ld (DOST), ‘woad’.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3