Wilkieston

Wilkieston # KBS CRA S NO578092 2

Wilkinstoun 1508 RMS ii no. 3178 [part of barony of Arngask (Ancorsk) PER, FIF, formerly barony of Kippo (Kippow) KBS]
Wilkestoune 1517 Fife Ct. Bk. 68 [associated with Lochtoune CRA and Kippo]
Wilkestoun 1541 RMS iii no. 2526 [in barony of Arngask (Arngosk)]
Wilkinstone 1615 Retours (Fife) no. 251 [in barony of Arngask (Aringosk)]
Wilkiestoun 1625 Retours (Fife) no. 362 [in barony of Arngask and Kippo]
Wilkistoun 1640 Retours (Fife) no. 587 [John Philp, in barony of Kippo]
Wilkiston 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Wilkisto&# 361 ; 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Wilkestoun 1661 Retours (Fife) no. 890 [David Philp, in barony of Kippo]
Wilkiestoun 1684 Adair/East Fife
Wilkinston 1753 Roy sheet 19, 5
Wilkieston 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Wilkiston 1828 SGF

pn Wilkin + Sc toun

‘Wilkin’s or Wilkie’s farm’. Wilkin or Wilkie is a Sc double diminutive of William. There is another Wilkieston CMN, for which see this volume, above.

It is shown on Ainslie/Fife (1775) and Ainslie/East Fife (1827) on the CRA-KBS boundary, with buildings on both sides, south-east of Carhurly KBS, though SGF (1828) shows it clearly on the north (KBS) side of the parish boundary. That it was in the barony of Arngask and Kippo means that it was considered part of KBS. It is not shown at all on OS 6 inch (1855).

This place-name appeared in printed volume 3