Leuchatsbeath BEA S NT158926 1 384 155m SEF
Balmannoche Beth 1496 Laing Chrs. no. 221 [= Inchcolm Chrs. no. 52; Thomas Balmannoch son and heir of William Balmannoch is given sasine in the lands of Balmanno-Beath by a bailie of the abbot of Inchcolm]
the manis of Beith 1528 Inchcolm Chrs. no. 54 [Thomas Balmanno (Bawmanno) of Beath (Beitht) his lands of Beath (Beitht) called the manis of Beith in the lordship of St Colm’s Inch]
Lumquhattis-Beicht 1557 x 1585 RMS v no. 898
Leuchquhattis Bayth 1574 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 220 [Knoksudrawin and Leuchquhattis Bayth]
Leuchats Beth 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Leuchats heith 1654 Blaeu (Pont) West Fife [the h for b error is consistent with his Coudon heth for Cowdenbeath]
Lewchatsbeth 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Leuchaldis-Beath 1647 RMS ix no. 1905 [the mains lands of Beath called Leuchatsbeath with the lands of Knoksudrone (‘terras dominicales de Beath vocat., cum terris de Knoksudrone’), with mills, coals and common grazing in the commonty of Beath as far as the loch called Loch Fitty (Lochfutie)]
Lumwhut 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5 [shown considerably to the north of true site]
Loucharsbeath 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Leucharsbeath 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
pn Leuchat + en Beath
Although Leuchat is not strictly speaking a personal name, it is functioning as such here, representing as it does the family of Spittall of Leuchat # DGY. Originally the Mains of Beath, the chief farm on Inchcolm Abbey’s lands of Beath, it seems also to have been known as the lands of Kirkbeath, since Thomas Balmanno(ch) appears as tenant of the abbot of Inchcolm in half the lands of Kirkbeath (Kyrkveth) in 1468 (Pitfirrane Writs no. 38; see also Inchcolm Chrs. pp. 185, 231). These lands were resigned by Thomas Balmanno in December 1528, and were then feued to William Spittall of Leuchat (Luquhat) DGY (Laing Chrs. no. 372, Inchcolm Chrs. no. 55). Henceforth they are known as Leuchatsbeath, first mentioned as such in 1557.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1