molendin<um> de Lessody 1328 NLS Adv. MS 34.1.3 (a) 112 (lxxvii) v [Dunf. Reg. no. 370 prints this Lessedy’, with nasal suspension mark over y; however, in the original NLS Adv. MS 34.1.3 (a) 112 (lxxvii) v this suspension mark is now invisible, and the second vowel looks more like o. The (not always very careful) transcript of the Register made in 1821 (NLS Adv. MS 9A.1.16) p. 691 has Lessody]
Lessod-is 1328 NLS Adv. MS 34.1.3 (a) 112 (lxxvii) v [with superscript final is. There is no trace of a cross-bar through d, as printed in Dunf. Reg. no. 370]
Over Lassody 1631 Retours (Fife) no. 1573
Over Lassody Easter 1631 Retours (Fife) no. 1573
Lassody Bray 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Lassody Nethir 1649 Retours (Fife) no. 1580 [‘Lassody Nethir ... in the lands of Nethir Lassody’]
Lessody 1654 Blaeu (Pont) West Fife [also showing Lessody Mill]
Lassody 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
W. Lassody 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Lassody brae 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Lasody 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Lassody 1775 Ainslie/Fife [also Lassody mill]
G lios + ?
The first element must be G lios ‘enclosure, hall’. Might the second element contain eud ‘cattle’, found for example in Buthadlach BEA? Liddal suggests aodann ‘face, slope’ (1896 s.n.). The early loss of the final n (if it existed at all) indicates rather that it is from the locational suffix –in ‘place of’ than from a radical n as found in aodann.
On 10 March 1328 a charter of Robert of Crail abbot of Dunfermline to the almoner of the abbey lists the lands thirled to the mill of Lassodie. These lands are the abbey’s lands of (the) Beaths (Baithis), Craigduckie DFL, Blairathie # BEA, DFL (Blaru-e), (the) Blairenbathies BEA, DFL (Blaru-eis), Cocklaw BEA, DFL, Windyedge BEA, DFL, Roscobie DFL, Gask DFL and (the) Lassodies (Lessod-is). The identification of Blairathie and Blairenbathie is made almost certain by the list of lands thirled to Lassodie Mill as recorded in 1671: these are Foulford (Foulfurd) BEA, DFL, Cowdenbeath (Couldon, Baith) BEA, DFL, *Mossend-Beath (Mossend-baithe), Stevenson’s Beath # (Stevinsone-baithe), *Wester Beath (Wester-baithe) DFL, Keirsbeath (Kerrs-baith) DFL (all of which are included in the 1328 charter’s plural form (the) Beaths (Baithis)), Easter Craigduckie (Craigdukie-Eister) DFL, Blairathie # (Blairothie) BEA, DFL, (the) Blairenbathies (Blairinbothie-Souther, Blairinbothie-Norther) BEA, DFL, Woodend # (Woodend) BEA, DFL, Cocklaw BEA, DFL, (the) Lassodies (Ovir Lassodie Eistir et Westir, Nathir Lassodie) BEA, DFL and the lands of Windyedge (Windieage) BEA, DFL (Retours (Fife) no. 1092).
Apart from Lassodie, it appears on OS Pathf. as Lassodie Mains, Lassodie Mine and Lassodie Farm. Lassodie Farm is older than Lassodie Mill, appearing as such on OS 6 inch 1st edn. (1856) as well as OS Explorer (2001). The mining village of Lassodie, now gone, lay at OS Pathf. Lassodie (which supplies the above NGR) and Lassodie Mains.
/laˈsɔdɪ/ or /ləˈsɔdɪ/
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1