le Halery 1508 RMS ii no. 3178 [part of the barony of Arngask (Ancorsk), formerly the barony of Kippo (Kippow)]
Halyry vel Halyrig 1615 Retours (Fife) no. 251 [part of the lands of Kippo, in the barony of Arngask (Aringosk)]
Haliry 1625 Retours (Fife) no. 362 [part of the lands and barony of Kippo, in the barony of Arngask (Arnegosk)]
Hillary 1753 Roy sheet 19, 5
Hillery 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Hillary 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
? Sc haly + ?
From the earliest forms the first element would appear to be Sc haly ‘holy’, perhaps indicating church ownership. The second element is more problematic. The alternative 1615 form Halyrig (which contains Sc rig ‘strip of arable land’) may simply be an attempt to make sense of a name which was already a puzzle to Scots-speakers. On the other hand the second element may be an early and otherwise unrecorded Older Sc word for ‘rig’ derived from the Latin word reia ‘strip, rig’, found locally applied to land in Babbet KBS (q.v.) in 1205 (RRS ii no. 469).
Part of the lands of Kippo from its earliest occurrence, the substantial farm-house is still recorded as being on the estate of Kippo in the 1850s (OS Name Book 83, 52).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3