Knocksodrum

Knocksodrum # BEA S NT154925 3

(half of the lands of) Knoksodrum 1534 Inchcolm Chrs. no. 57
the half landis of Knoksudderon 1545 Inchcolm Chrs. no. 63
(the half lands of) Knoksudrum 1545 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 186
Knoksudderan 1550 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 186 [= Spittall Papers, 475]
Knoksowderoun 1557 x 1585 RMS v no. 898 [one of the lands bordering *Beath-Coutts; see BEA Introduction]
(half the lands of) Knokswtherung 1569 Inchcolm Chrs. no. 71
Knoksudrawin 1574 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 220 [Knoksudrawin and Leuchquhattis Bayth]
(the whole lands of) Knoksydroung 1577 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 216
Knok-Sudderone 1596 Retours (Fife) no. 1537 [James Spittell of Leuchat]
(half of) Knoksuddrum 1644 RMS ix no. 1496
integras terras de Knoksuddrum 1644 RMS ix no. 1496
terris de Knoksudrone 1647 RMS ix no. 1905 [the mains lands of Beath called Leuchatsbeath with the lands of Knoksudrone (terras dominicales de Beath vocat. Leuchaldis-Beath, cum terris de Knoksudrone)]
Knocksdrone 1666 RMS xi no. 973 [probably for Knocksudrone]
Knocksodrum 1872 Sasines no. 1544

G cnoc + ?

The editors of Inchcolm Chrs. suggest cnoc sùdairean ‘cobbler’s hill’ (sic, p. 251), but the earliest forms make this unlikely.

It was closely linked with Leuchatsbeath BEA, and probably lay nearby.

This place-name appeared in printed volume 1