Kirkbeath * BEA S NT158926 2 155m
(barony of) Kyrkbeth 1441 Inchcolm Chrs. no. 51
(half the lands of) Kyrkveth 1468 Pitfirrane Writs no. 38 [see Inchcolm Chrs. pp. 185, 231; see Balmanno-Beath BEA aboveand Leuchatsbeath BEA below]
terras de Kirkbaith 1543 RMS iii no. 2915 [the lands of Kirkbaith occupied by John Drummond, presumably referring to part of Leuchatsbeath]
Kirkbeath 1872 Sasines no. 1544
Sc kirk + en Beath
This was the name of the barony erected in 1441 comprising the west Fife lands of Inchcolm Abbey. They are listed in the 1441 charter (Inchcolm Chrs. no. 51) and are in ABO, BEA, DGY, KGH and LSL. The name comes originally from the Kirk o(f) Beath, but seems to have also been applied to the Mains of Beath, now known as Leuchatsbeath BEA q.v., which supplies the above NGR.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1