East Pitkierie KRY S NO558059 1 374 45m SOF
E. Pitkeiry 1828 SGF
East Pitkierie 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Sc or SSE east + en Pitkierie
This is shown as Major Field on Ainslie/Fife (1775) and Majorfield on Ainslie/East Fife (1827), not to be confused with Mayfield, which is the name given to Loanhead KRY by OS 6 inch (1855).
OS Name Book (85, 19) gives an alternative spelling, E. Pitkeiry, from Johnston’s County Map, and states that it is ‘a newly erected farm steading with dwelling House of 2 stories’, and that it is the property of Andrew Johnston Esq, Banker in Suffolk. As this Andrew Johnston was also the proprietor of West Pitkierie at the time, it is likely that he changed the name of *Majorfield to East Pitkierie in order to lend a sense of unity to his two contiguous farms, simultaneously changing the name of Pitkierie to West Pitkierie.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3