The Coves KRY A NO599058 1 374 5m SEF
Coves 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife [with small circle used for settlements]
Coves 1753 Roy sheet 19, 5
The Coves 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
‘The caves’. The name refers to a row of caves on the sea shore. One in particular, known in the nineteenth century as Chapel Cave, has evidently been occupied by early medieval ecclesiastics. The walls bear many carved crosses and other carvings, including a Pictish Z-rod. Traditionally this cave is associated with St Adrian or Ethernan (NMRS NO50NE 6; see also KRY Introduction, St Ethernan). See also Hermit’s Well KRY, below.
‘The Coves’ appears twice on OS Pathf., once as an antiquity at the above NGR, once as a coastal feature below the high-tide mark immediately south-east.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3