Largoward KCQ S NO467075 1 374 165m SEF
Largoward 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Largo Ward 1775 Ainslie/Fife [with Coal Pits marked immediately to south; and W<ind> Mill + symbol immediately to east]
Largo Ward 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
en Largo + Sc ward
Sc ward or waird is ‘an enclosed piece of land, chiefly for pasture’, while wardland referred to land held by knight-service to a superior. Although in KCQ, it must once have had some tenurial connection with Largo. This link may be seen in the following sasine of 1799, which gives sasine to Sir Robert Anstruther of Balcaskie CBE in various lands in KCQ, viz Cordis Mailing (Cordesroume or Cordesmailling), ? Bowhill (Balquhidder) and Cumberland # (Cumberland), all of which are described as being in the barony of Largo, but all of which are very near Largoward (Sasines no. 5356).
In OS Name Book (early 1850s) Largo Ward is described as ‘A tract of land divided into several small crofts or farms, each of which having a dwelling house etc. The property of Mr D. Dundas’ (23, 7).
Largoward was a ‘quoad sacra parish formed from Kilconquhar, Largo, Cameron and Carnbee parishes’ (Groome’s Gazetteer (new edn 1880s) iv, 469).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3