Langstruther # KCQ S NO470040 3
(that long) Strouthir 1404 Fraser, Wemyss ii no. 166 [described as lying between Balcarres (Balcarhous) and Easter and Wester Rires (Reras), as far as the march of Newton (of Rires) (Newtoun) KCQ; charter is issued by John Wemyss, lord of Rires, to his newly founded chapel of St Mary of Rires (Reres); see *Shiremuir KCQ, for more details]
illam Longam Struther 1578 x 1581 RMS v no. 192 [‘that Langstruther # (or ‘long marsh’) lying between Balcarres, Easter and Wester Rires, as far as the march of Newton of Rires (Charleton)’ (illam longam Struther jacent. intra Balcarrous, E. & W. Reres, usque ad marchiam de Newtoun de Reres); part of Cumberland # KCQ, q.v.]
Longastruther 1601 Retours (Fife) no. 94 [lying between Balcarres (Balcarhous) KCQ, East Rires (Eist Rires) KCQ and Wester Rires (Wester Rires) KCQ, as far as the march of Newton of Rires (Newtoun) KCQ]
Langstruther 1643 Retours (Fife) no. 664
Sc lang + Sc struther
‘Long marsh’. Sc struther or strother occurs comparatively infrequently north of the Forth-Clyde line (see DOST under strother). When it is first recorded it is part-translated into Latin, which may mean that struther is functioning here as a common noun rather than a place-name.
Langstruther # first appears among the lands of Cumberland # KCQ (q.v.), poor lands attached to St Mary’s Chapel at Rires KCQ.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3