Baith-Dewar 1563 RMS iv no. 1476
Foulefurde 1594 RMS vi no. 75
Fowlefoord 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Dewarsbaith 1646 Henderson 1865, 18
Foule foord 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Dewarisbaith alias Foulford 1654 Retours (Fife) no. 831 [in parish of Dunfermline]
Foulford 1753 Roy sheet 17, 6
Foulford 1755 Ainslie/Fife
Foulford 1828 SGF
Foulford 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
Sc foul + Sc ford
‘Foul or muddy ford’. The ford was over the Foulford Burn (named on the OS Pathf. 384), which flows eastwards into Loch Gelly.
Foulford, which lay on the south side of Foulford Road, at the north end of the modern town of Cowdenbeath, is shown as a farm on SGF (1828) and on OS 6 inch 1st edn., which supplies the above NGR.
It was also known as Dewarsbeath, a name now obsolete. One Allan Dewar, a burgess of Dunfermline, and sergeant of the burgh court there, frequently appears in the burgh records from 1491 (see Dunf. Recs. passim), while Sir John Dewar is listed in 1532 as one of the tenants of lands ‘lyand besyid the toune of Dunfermlyng halden of the Abbat and convent of the samyn’ (Dunf. Reg. Ct. Bk. 62). In the case of the above-mentioned Allan Dewar, sergeant of the burgh court of Dunfermline, his surname may well derive from the office which is described in the thirteenth century as officium sergeandi ‘office of sergeantry’ (see Dunf. Reg. no. 234 and under Pitbauchlie DFL below).
In 1627 one James Dewar of Bonally-Beath is retoured in some lands of Bonally-Beath (Retours (Fife) no. 386; see Hill of Beath for more details).
/ˈfulfərd/ or /ˈfulfʌrd/
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1