Kilbrackmont KCQ S NO471062 1 374 150m SWF
Kinbrithmund 1221 x 1226 Dunf. Reg. no. 216 [teinds in dispute between Dunfermline Abbey, who held Newburnshire NBN, and rector of Kilconquhar; decision in favour of latter]
Kinbrachmond 1266 Laing Chrs. no. 8 [see CBE Introduction]
omnes terras de Kynbrachmonth’ 1362 RRS vi no. 269 [o.c.; David II to John Bisset (Byset) all lands of Kilbrackmont, resigned by his father Walter Bisset]
(lands of) Kynbrachmounde 1369 RMS i no. 327 [to William Dishington, which had belonged to Walter Bisset; and erected into a free barony]
(land and barony of) Kinbrachmont 1506 RMS ii no. 3015 [see Ardross ELI]
Cilbrachmont 1545 x 1555 N. Berwick Cart. p. xxiv [teind sheaves of Kilbrackmont and Carmurie (Carmwre) set to Elizabeth Crichton lady of Ardross by North Berwick Nunnery]
Kilbrathmont c.1560 s Purves 153 [£6]
Kyllbrakmont 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Kilbrackmount 1684 Adair/East Fife
Kilbrachmount 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Kilbrachmount Craig 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Kilbrackmount 1775 Ainslie/Fife [Genl. Scott]
Ruins of Kilbrackmonth 1785 RHP23078
Kilbrackmonth 1828 SGF [= OS Pathf. Kilbrackmont Place]
Kilbrackmont Craigs 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
G ceann + ? + G monadh
Watson 1926, 404 (and 402) suggests that the second element is connected with OIr bréch ‘wolf’, giving a meaning ‘end of wolf muir or hill’. However, no early forms have e in the stressed medial syllable, which makes the derivation from bréch or any other word in e very unlikely. It is also unclear whether the medial syllable ended originally in –th or –ch, although –th is probably best seen as a transcription or editorial error for –ch.
The NGR given above is for OS Pathf. Kilbrackmont, but this site is called Craigs on both Ainslie/Fife (1775) and SGF (1828) and Kilbrackmont Craigs on OS 6 inch (1855). The 1775 and 1828 maps show their Kilbrackmont almost 1 km to the south-east, where OS Pathf. shows Kilbrackmont Place at NO478056, and this is likely to be the original centre of the estate. OS Pathf. also shows Kilbrackmont Knock, a hill rising to 158 m to the east of Kilbrackmont Place, and Kilbrackmont Craig Wood.
Note that Kinbrichtor 1209 RRS ii no. 471, which the editor compares with Kilbrackmont, is in fact Craighall, Kinnaird parish PER.
There is a field called Scatterwallop on Kilbrackmont.
/kɪlˈbrakmʌnt/ or /kəlˈbrakmənt/.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3