Falfield

Falfield KCQ S NO446088 1 374 195m NWF

(all my lands of) Fawfeldis 1375 NLS Adv. MS 34.6.24, p. 252 [granted by Malcolm of Morton (de Miretoun) lord of Cambo (Cambow) KBS to John of Wemyss (de Wemis)]
Faufelde 1384 NLS Adv. MS 34.6.24, p. 252 [all Malcolm of Morton (Mirtoun)’s lands of ‘Falfield nether and upper’ (Faufelde inferiori et superiori) within the barony of Rires (Reres) KCQ]
le twa Faufeildis 1466 RMS ii no. 882 [the two Falfields to Thomas of Wemyss (Wemis) of Rires (Reras) KCQ]
duabus Fawfeildis 1476 RMS ii no. 1245 [(the) two Falfields]
2 Fawfeildis 1477 RMS ii no. 1302
Northir-Fawfeldis 1495 RMS ii no. 2231 [to Andrew Wood of Largo, except for a sixteenth part]
Northir-Fawfeld 1504 RMS ii no. 2824 [in the barony of Rires (Reras)]
Southir-Faufeildis 1507 RMS ii no. 3052 [to William Forbes, granted by Thomas Wemyss of Pittencreiff (Pettincreif) DFL, in exchange for his renunciation of other lands]
Northir-Faufeild 1511 RMS ii no. 3700 [William Forbes sells Norther Falfield (Northir-Faufeild) and Frostleys # (Frostleis) KCQ to Andrew Wood of Largo]
Fawfeildis 1513 RMS ii no. 3880 [king confirms to Andrew Wood of Largo and Elizabeth Lundy, his wife, ‘the lands of Falfields and Frostleys # in the barony of Rires KCQ’ (terras de Fawfeildis et Frostleys in baronia de Reres); for these lands Andrew Wood is required to accompany the king and queen on pilgrimage to Isle of May, whenever it should be required]
Southtirfaufeild 1522 Fife Ct. Bk. 261
Northir-Fawfeild 1541 RMS iii no. 2515
Fawfieldis 1545 x 1555 N. Berwick Cart. xxiii [‘set to Maister Wilzem Cock the teynd chaiwis (teind sheaves) of Fawfieldis and Frost laiffis (Frostleys # KCQ)’]
Faufeildis 1578 x 1581 RMS v no. 192
Faufeildis 1610 Retours (Fife) no. 218 [in barony of Rires]
Fauldfeelds 1642 Gordon MS Fife
W. Fauldfeelds 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Fauld-feelds 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Westfeelds 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife [error for Gordon MS W. Fauldfeelds]
Nether Falfeildis 1667 RMS xi no. 1116 [lands of Nether Falfields and Inlavarre are amongst lands granted or confirmed to Francis Durham of Largo and Christine Scot of Ardross]
Nether Falfeilds 1667 RMS xi no. 1116 [Nether Falfields and Inlavar]
Fallfield 1684 Adair/East Fife
Fawfeeld 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1 [shown twice]
N Falfield 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Fallfield 1828 SGF
S. Fallfield 1828 SGF
Falfield 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
South Falfield 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn

Sc faw + Sc field

‘Variegated or striped field’. The earliest reference (1375) has a plural form, Fawfeldis, showing that division of the lands had already taken place by this date, the parts being first called *Nether and Over (1384), later Norther and Souther (1495). They seem to have been known collectively as ‘the two Falfields’ (1466, 1476, 1477). The Roy map shows two places called Fawfeeld, one north and one south of Dunicher Law, which correspond to OS Pathf. South Falfield and Falfield.

There is a remarkable set of field-name pillars, which doubled as scratching posts, in the fields east of Falfield (on the east side of the road), an area now mainly covered in conifers. These pillars are well made of sand-stone, almost two metres high, square, with chamfered edges and pyramidical top. On each one is carved the name of the field.[175] Unfortunately the names have weathered on some to such an extent as to be now illegible, and the tree-covering has obscured others. However, they would seem to correspond to the names on an estate-plan in the possession of Ms Walker-Morrison, Falfield, entitled ‘Estate of Falfield, enlarged from a plan surveyed in 1833’, and made by Charles S. Fotheringham in 1864.[176] For example, the name Robertson’s Park is carved on one pillar, and the corresponding field on the 1864 plan has the same name. Some other names on the 1864 plan in the pillared fields are (all with surnames): Barclay’s Park, Pitcairn’s Park and Walker’s Park (on the 1833 plan these are called respectively West Back of Law, West Law Park and Dunniker Law; while Robertson’s Park is called East Back of Law). Ms Aase Goldsmith of Largoward informs me that there are as many as ten pillars on both sides of the road.

OS Pathf. also has Falfield Bank, South Falfield and Northtown of Falfield.

/ˈfɔ:fild/

This place-name appeared in printed volume 3