landis of Sauquhair 1599 RMS vi no. 874 col.3 [part of a detailed march; see ELI introduction, Elie in 1599]
Saucher Bay 1827 Ainslie/East Fife [the bay east of Sauchar Point]
Sachar 1684 Adair/East Fife
Sauchur Point 1845 NSA ix, 280
Sauchar 1928 Elie Plan/1928 [a field name]
? G seileach + –ar
‘Willow place’? The first element is probably G seileach, OG sailech ‘willow’. See also Sauchope CRA, which probably contains this word. For the OG suffix –ar see Ó Maille (1987), who cites close parallels in Ireland such as Sallagher, Sallyhernaun, Salchraidh. This suffix seems to have locational force, though Ó Maille would disagree (1987, 27; see also –ar in Elements Glossary, PNF 5).
The lands of Sauchar occupied the peninsula to the south-east of Elie, at the far end of which is Sauchar Point. Sauchar House, the former estate office for Elie estate, is at the east end of Elie High Street, at NO494002.
OS Pathf. shows Sauchar Point (NT499993).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3