Grange

Grange ELI KCQ S NO478002 1 374 20m SEF

Grangiam monialium de Northberwick c.1250 NLS MS Adv. 34.6.24, p. 218 [18th c. copy; ‘the Grange of the nuns of North Berwick’; see discussion, below]
the Grainge 1545 x 1555 N. Berwick Cart. p. xxiii [‘set in ffew the landis of the Grainge to Maister Alexander Wod’]
(lands of) Grange 1621 Retours (Fife) no. 316 [James Wood of Lambieletham (Lambelethame) CMN, the lands of Grange, with teinds and common pasture, in the parish of Kilconquhar (Kilconquhar)]
Graunge 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife [also Gordon MS Fife]
Grang 1684 Adair/East Fife
Grange 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Grange 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Grange 1828 SGF
Grange 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn

Sc grange

‘(Outlying) monastic farm’, in this case belonging to the nuns of North Berwick, who had the chapel and hospital at nearby Ardross. This is also presumably the land from which Cormac Luhoc was evicted in 1200 × 1210, so that only the nuns’ men should dwell there (see discussion under Ardross ELI, above). In c.1250 a dispute arose between the nuns at Grange on the one hand and Ela of Ardross, the secular superior, and Richard of Bickerton (de Bigirton), [159] who was perhaps Ela’s tenant at Kincraig ELI, on the other, over grazing rights. Ela had thrown the nuns off the commonty of Kincraig (Kyncrag), but following a hearing at which ‘Thomas called Squire, a judge of the lord king’ (Thomas dictus Squier Iudex Domini Regis), passed judgement, Ela was found to be in the wrong and the nuns were repossessed (NLS MS Adv. 34.6.24, p. 218). The bad relations between the lairds of Kincraig and the nuns of North Berwick rumbled on into the next generation, since in 1295 William, bishop of St Andrews, ordered the rector of the church of Abercrombie (Abercrumby) SMS and ‘chaplain of the parish of Kilconquhar’ (capellanus parochie de Kilconcat’) to admonish Walter of Bickerton (de Bigirton), lord of Kincraig (Kyncrag), probably a son or nephew of the above-mentioned Richard of Bickerton, to desist from cutting peats ‘in the moss of the hospital of Earlsferry’ (in marisio Hospitalis passagii Comitis) and from carrying away the peats of Osanna, prioress of North Berwick (Northberwic), and from troubling the nuns in the common pasture of Kincraig (Kincrag) (NLS 34.6.24, p. 217).

This place-name appeared in printed volume 3